Please join us for a public presentation by the Consultant group, Calfee Zoning, on February 19 at 5:30 PM for the Monroe County Development Ordinance (CDO). The consultants will be providing an update on changes to the County Development Ordinance, including rolling out new formatting and design.
What: Public Presentation of the County Development Ordinance at the Monroe County Plan Commission meeting
When: February 19, 2019 at 5:30 PM
Where: Monroe County Courthouse (100 W Kirkwood AVE) 3rd floor, Judge Nat U. Hill III Room
NOTE: This is not a public hearing and is in no way a full draft release. A partial draft of the plan will be made available to the public at the meeting and is available online (See link to partial draft here).
Opportunity for Public Input
The Planning Department can answer questions about the opportunities for County properties using the draft County Development Ordinance by phone (812)349-2560, walk-in, or by email MonroeCDO@co.monroe.in.us. The Planning Department is located at 501 N Morton St, Suite 224, Bloomington, IN 47404. Come talk to us!
The project is currently in the Codification phase of development, during which the code is being substantially written in draft mode. This process is expected to be completed in November 2018.
Further opportunities for the general public to engage with project consultants, to provide public opinions and feedback, will occur in December 2018.
The final phase of the project is the Ordination phase. The anticipated completion date for the ordinance adoption process is Spring 2019.
Sign up for Updates!
You can sign up for updates by adding your email to our list. Go to the Public Input page and click “Yes” on the box that says “Sign up for Updates.”
Monroe County is updating and rewriting both the Zoning Ordinance and the Subdivision Control Ordinance to create a County Development Ordinance or CDO in 2018. Be a part of it!
Please visit this site periodically as we continue to add content and information as this project gets underway.
Project Update Presentation
On Tuesday, July 17, the consultant team – MKSK and Calfee Zoning – hosted stakeholder meetings and a public presentation at the Monroe County Plan Commission.
A recording of their presentation can be found HERE.
The Powerpoint for their presentation can be viewed HERE.
During the presentation, they released the latest draft zoning map and the draft code. The consultants are planning another trip this fall for a public open house – stay tuned!
Project Kickoff Presentation
On February 20th, 2018, project consultants from Calfee Zoning and MKSK gave a presentation to the Monroe County Plan Commission.
You can view the recording of the presentation HERE.
The PowerPoint presentation can be viewed HERE.
About our Project
Monroe County adopted a county-wide 20-year Comprehensive Plan in February 2012, and subsequent amendments to the plan in the form of an Urbanizing Area Plan in 2015 and a Framework Zoning Plan and Code Diagnostic in December 2016. We are now implementing a strategy to rewrite the Zoning and Subdivision Ordinance for consistency with these adopted Plans. The last complete rewriting of the zoning regulations was in 1997. The Zoning Ordinance has been amended in piecemeal fashion since that time. These regulations need to be reorganized, codified, and illustrated to explain the concepts of the regulations, while also implementing the recommendations of the Comprehensive Plan.
- Follow the vision, goals, and objectives of the Comprehensive Plan(s) and encourage economic, environmentally-friendly and socially sustainable development
- Facilitate significant and meaningful public input during the process, including any workshops, open-houses or focus groups
- Meet the County’s desire to direct future land uses to compatible areas
- Amend the Zoning Map; creating new zoning districts that include the recommendations which are consistent with the Comprehensive Plan and Urbanizing Area Plans
- Provide commonly used definitions and a user-friendly set of guidelines in clear, simple language or in illustrated language. Ensure language is clearly stated to avoid, whenever possible, disputes of interpretations
- Update the Ordinances so that they are more responsive to contemporary development trends, recognize diverse physical characteristics of Monroe County, and encourage quality development
- Update the Ordinances so that they are current with all local, state and federal statutes and are consistent with recent case law and constitutional determinations
- Develop new Zoning Districts, Land Use concepts, Development Standards, and form-based code recommendations consistent with those concepts set forth in the Urbanizing Area Plan Framework and Comprehensive Plan
- Clearly establish criteria for conditional land use and variance consideration/approval
- Establish clear procedures for zoning related applications and identify opportunities for process simplification and flexibility consistent with identified community goals and proposed objectives
- Reduce and/or streamline the caseloads of the Planning and Zoning Commission, Board of Zoning Appeals and County staff, by crafting regulations that require fewer requests for variances, conditional use permits and rezoning cases
- A reorganized code available to the general public on-line at the County’s web site, in an “easy access, easy look-up” format with electronic query capability, by search terms and by process type, that allows for future amendments to be easily incorporated into the on-line presentation format