Virtual kick-off meeting – May 27, 2020 at 5:30 PM
Monroe County has initiated a contract with McBride Dale Clarion Associates to complete the County Development Ordinance. Our first VIRTUAL kick-off meeting will be on May 27th at 5:30 PM via Zoom. We invite the public to join us via Zoom for this important kick-off meeting!
Who: McBride Dale Clarion
Why: Stay involved by tuning in to a presentation to the Monroe County Plan Commission members regarding the scope of the CDO project and our plans for engaging the public
When: May 27th at 5:30 PM
Where: Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 849 0899 1491
If calling by phone: dial 312-626-6799 and enter the Meeting ID: 84908991491 and Password: 914528 when prompted.
You can sign up for the event on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/events/294515871566866/) or just join us using the information above.
Can’t make it to the meeting live? CATS TV will be recording the meeting to their website and we will post the Zoom recording following the meeting.
Opportunity for Public Input – COVID-19 Precautions
The Planning Department can answer questions about the opportunities for County properties using the draft County Development Ordinance by phone (812)349-2560 or by email MonroeCDO@co.monroe.in.us. We are prioritizing public input and will be discussing how best to move forward in a way that is safe for the community as well as transparent. Call or email us!
The project is going to be kicked off on May 27, 2020. The CDO is broken into 3 modules that will be reviewed at the kick-off meeting. The modules are as follows***:
Module 1: Procedures, Administration, and Subdivision to comply with statutory requirements
Module 2: Zoning Districts and Uses
Module 3: Dimensional and Development Standards and Definitions
***The timeline for completing these modules are currently June 2021. This is subject to change. Stay tuned for more updates!
Sign up for Updates!
You can sign up for updates by adding your email to our list. Go to the Public Input page and click “Yes” on the box that says “Sign up for Updates.”
Monroe County is updating and rewriting both the Zoning Ordinance and the Subdivision Control Ordinance to create a County Development Ordinance or CDO . Be a part of it!
Please visit this site periodically as we continue to add content and information as this project gets underway.
Project Update Presentation
Stay tuned for updates!
About our Project
Monroe County adopted a county-wide 20-year Comprehensive Plan in February 2012, and subsequent amendments to the plan in the form of an Urbanizing Area Plan in 2015 and a Framework Zoning Plan and Code Diagnostic in December 2016. We are now implementing a strategy to rewrite the Zoning and Subdivision Ordinance for consistency with these adopted Plans. The last complete rewriting of the zoning regulations was in 1997. The Zoning Ordinance has been amended in piecemeal fashion since that time. These regulations need to be reorganized, codified, and illustrated to explain the concepts of the regulations, while also implementing the recommendations of the Comprehensive Plan.
- Follow the vision, goals, and objectives of the Comprehensive Plan(s) and encourage economic, environmentally-friendly and socially sustainable development
- Facilitate significant and meaningful public input during the process, including any workshops, open-houses or focus groups
- Meet the County’s desire to direct future land uses to compatible areas
- Amend the Zoning Map; creating new zoning districts that include the recommendations which are consistent with the Comprehensive Plan and Urbanizing Area Plans
- Provide commonly used definitions and a user-friendly set of guidelines in clear, simple language or in illustrated language. Ensure language is clearly stated to avoid, whenever possible, disputes of interpretations
- Update the Ordinances so that they are more responsive to contemporary development trends, recognize diverse physical characteristics of Monroe County, and encourage quality development
- Update the Ordinances so that they are current with all local, state and federal statutes and are consistent with recent case law and constitutional determinations
- Develop new Zoning Districts, Land Use concepts, Development Standards, and form-based code recommendations consistent with those concepts set forth in the Urbanizing Area Plan Framework and Comprehensive Plan
- Clearly establish criteria for conditional land use and variance consideration/approval
- Establish clear procedures for zoning related applications and identify opportunities for process simplification and flexibility consistent with identified community goals and proposed objectives
- Reduce and/or streamline the caseloads of the Planning and Zoning Commission, Board of Zoning Appeals and County staff, by crafting regulations that require fewer requests for variances, conditional use permits and rezoning cases
- A reorganized code available to the general public on-line at the County’s web site, in an “easy access, easy look-up” format with electronic query capability, by search terms and by process type, that allows for future amendments to be easily incorporated into the on-line presentation format